Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Thoughts on Gravity

I saw Gravity this afternoon in 3D Imax. I figured, hey, if I was going to shell out the money to see it in the theaters, I better go all the way. And I am so glad I did. This is more than a movie; it's an experience. Ninety minutes of nonstop intensity combined with an inspirational story about human ingenuity. If you have the opportunity to watch it on a big screen, preferably in 3D, then you should do so.

When I got home and turned on the laptop, I came across an article from Entertainment Weekly in which astro-experts break down the inaccuracies of the movie, mostly of the scientific variety. I find the article to be fascinating. What surprises me is how many people in the comments section decried what the scientists had to say because this is just a movie. Let's face it: Most people's scientific knowledge and their misconceptions come from movies and television. If we want a more educated public, then we need more accurate depictions of science in our entertainment.

Yes, I'm a nerd for believing that and proud of it. I like education. But I also like being entertained. And I have to say that Gravity is a hell of a movie with astounding visuals and fantastic storytelling and acting, even if some the physics are wrong.

I recommend that everyone go see the movie and then read the EW article (in that order or you will get seriously spoiled), and enjoy the best of both worlds.

ETA:
Astronaut Mark Kelly has written a piece for The Washington Post about Gravity that's well worth reading. And there's also this one from Slate.

No comments: