Thursday, October 3, 2013

Thoughts on S.H.I.E.L.D. so far

This is the show I was looking forward to more than any other for the fall season. A Joss Whedon production based off Marvel superhero movies that I have generally loved? I'm there. But so far I've been underwhelmed by what I've seen on Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. (And typing those periods every time is going to become annoying.)

Is it just me, or does this come off as a poor man's Firefly? Motley crew of misfits? Check. Giant airborne home and command center? Check.There are shots of the plane known as The Bus that reminded me of Serenity, especially the door that leads in and out of the cargo hold. The S.H.I.E.L.D. team echoes the Serenity crew except they're not as interesting (so far) and are way too young and pretty. I enjoyed Agent Colson in the Marvel movies and still like him here, but the only new character who intrigues me is Melinda May. She has personal pain. She has secrets. And she isn't annoyingly chatty or eye-rollingly idealistic.

There are good spots. The trademark Whedon dialogue is present. The special effects are good. But this show hasn't jelled yet. I'm willing to give it time to find its footing. Buffy's first season didn't wow me, either, but it evolved into something amazing. I only hope ABC gives S.H.I.E.L.D. time to find its footing, which it might, because it isn't Fox.

No comments: