Saturday, November 2, 2013

October stats and other stuff

Goodness, my submission stats for last month were horrible. But here's the thing: I have eight stories out on submission and five of them have been waiting for a response for more than 31 days. Another one, my Writers of the Future finalist, is on hold until the end of the year. That left two stories to make the rounds in October. So ...

Submissions for October: 2
Stories out on submission: 8

I expect some of those longer wait times will be coming back with responses soon, so November will be better for submissions. Also, for the year, I'm now at 39 submissions, which ties my total for all of 2012, and there are still two months left in the year. That's going to make 2013 my best year ever for number of submissions.

I lost a lot of momentum on writing last week. That's partly because I'm to the climax scene of my work-in-progress, and although I know what is going to happen, I'm not sure yet how it will happen. I need to sort that out before I write it, but I plan to have the story finished by Tuesday night, the end of my weekend.

I also lost momentum because of some semi-binge television watching: Homeland Season 1, and catching up on Sleepy Hollow on Hulu. Very different shows but both very enjoyable. I'm especially geeking out over Sleepy Hollow. Fun premise and great characters who actually have unforced chemistry with each other. It's alternately scary and hilarious. The cast is nicely diverse without drawing attention to it. And, yes, Tom Mison is nice to look at.

And finally, a few days ago, I got to see the artwork by Hugo-winning artist Galen Dara that will accompany my story in Fireside Magazine when it gets published Nov. 15, and my God it is beautiful. Captures the story perfectly. I couldn't be happier.

No comments: