Friday, December 20, 2013

Writing update

This morning I reached "the end" on the first draft of my Quarter 1 Writers of the Future entry and now have 11 days to revise and polish before the deadline. That might not sound like much time, but it's much more than I've ended up with the past two quarters. Feels like a luxury, even with the busyness of Christmas between now and then. I really like this story. I'm not a fantastic judge of what does well in this contest, though, so we'll see how it goes over.

I wrote the bulk of this story at a Starbucks near my house. I'm more productive at writing when I'm away from the house and its myriad distractions. The coffee shop was unusually empty when I arrived there about 9:30 this morning. By the time I left an hour later, the place was so packed that a woman was making her claim on my tiny table by dumping her stuff there before I had even finished packing up my laptop or had put on my coat. A part of me wanted to maliciously say I had changed my mind and no I was not leaving, but my bosses wouldn't have been happy had I been late to work. So I let the rudeness pass.

No comments: