Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Goals for 2013 redux

Happy 2014. I woke up on the first day of this new year with a cold and, I think, pink eye. Delightful. I'll be opening my year (tomorrow) with a visit to my doctor. I'm a day late on this post, but it's time to take a look at my goals for 2013 and how well I did on reaching them.

1. Write a novel
Whoops, I totally didn't do this. I wrote a lot. My longest story was about 14,000 words (and that was a piece of fan fiction). So, no novel. Not even close. However, here's what I did accomplish:
  • 45 submissions, which beats last year's record of 39
  • 4 acceptances
  • 3 publications
  • Finalist in the Writers of the Futures contest. Finally.

2. Apply to a writers workshop
I applied to two workshops and attended one, which was a highlight of my year. I would highly recommend the Launchpad workshop to any science fiction writer who needs to brush up on their astronomy. Not only were the lessons fantastic, I also made some great friends.

3. Take better care of myself
As I said one year ago today, when you're a mother, you tend to put your own priorities and well-being last on the list. Starting in September, for the first time, all three of my children were in school full-time. (My youngest had previously been in half-day kindergarten.) That gave me a few hours every week to focus on me. I've been doing my writing a couple of times a week at my local Starbucks, which I enjoy. I saw a couple of movies in an actual movie theater. And in June, my husband and I celebrated our 10th anniversary with a week in San Diego. I'll call this goal a success.

No comments: