Friday, January 31, 2014

January redux

This morning, we have about three inches of snow on the ground from a storm overnight, and there's another storm coming through this afternoon that will double that total. And we're expecting more snow next Tuesday. It's this time of year that I forget why it was a good idea to move to Colorado.

Anyway, as we're closing out the first month of 2014, this is a good time to look at how I'm doing on my writing and weight loss goals.

Writing
I feel like I've done a lot this month, but I don't have much to show for it. I've written three flashes for a Codex forum contest, and I'm not terribly happy with any of them. One I think I can submit as is. The second one will never see the light of day. The third one has a good premise, but I used that premise to write the wrong story, so I plan to write the right story sometime in the next few weeks. I've also written an outline and synopsis for a novel and about 600 words of a first chapter, and I'm working on a synopsis for a short story I'm going to co-write with a friend. All together, that's probably at least 5,000 words, but nothing that's completed and ready to submit. However, I did make five story submissions this month, which is on track for my goal of at least 50 for the year.

Weight loss
I started the month at 165 pounds. Technically, that's a healthy weight for a woman of my tall stature, but I want to lose 10 pounds to get back down to my college weight. This morning, I weighed in at 159. That's more than halfway to my goal, and I've accomplished it without straining myself. I've replaced chips and sugary desserts with fruits and vegetables, and I've been exercising every day. Some days, the exercise has been crunches and squats in the living room, and some mornings I've managed to get to the gym and do a couple miles on the treadmill. The running will get easier in a couple of months when we get to springtime.

My goals for February are much as they were in January. Keep writing, keep submitting, keep eating healthy and exercising.

No comments: