Sunday, February 23, 2014

"Heroes" is coming back

NBC announced last night that Heroes will be returning to television for a 13-episode run in 2015, and I think this is fantastic. This comes on the heels of another limited-run reboot, this one for "24," another of my favorite shows from back-when, and a movie for "Veronica Mars." My wish list for more reboots: Chuck, Alias and Firefly.

The Heroes reboot will focus on a new cast of characters, with possible cameos from some of the original cast, which is not so fantastic, but I understand the necessity behind it. I would rather see a series focusing on characters such as Peter, Claire, Hiro and Sylar. But the actors have mostly gone on to other projects, some with great success. Getting them all back for a new series would prove a logistical nightmare.

As happy as I am over this news, I'm well-aware that the original run of Heroes had its issues. The first season was great. It was exciting and fast-paced, and "Save the Cheerleader, Save the World" became engrained for a while in the country's pop culture. The episodes of "Homecoming," "Company Man" and "Five Years Gone" were as good as anything else on television and better than most. After that, the show went downhill fast, until it finally petered out with a whimper at the end of season four and was given a mercy killing by NBC.

I don't claim to know what went wrong. The writers strike had something to do with it, I'm sure. Usually when a show's story lines go to pot, the problem originates in the writers room. In the case of Heroes, after the initial story line of the bomb in New York was resolved, it seemed that the writers didn't know where to go next. Which is why a 13-episode limited-run series might be just the thing Heroes needs to redeem itself. Creator Tim Kring and his (hopefully) new and better writing staff have had years to develop a story that will have a definite beginning and end, rather than going on indefinitely when there's nowhere good to go.


In any case, I will definitely be watching, and I'm rooting for Kring and company to prove that NBC made the right call in bringing Heroes back from the dead.

No comments: