Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Midyear update

Oh my gosh, we're halfway through 2014. The past six months have gone by so fast. Now is a good time to take stock of where I'm at on my goals for the year.

1. Beat my submission total for 2013.
At six months into the year, I should be halfway to this goal. In 2013, I had 45 submissions. This year so far I have 20 submissions. Not quite where I want to be, but close. I don't expect the numbers to surge in the second half of the year because I won't be writing any new short fiction for a while. Now that I've finished and submitted my Q3 entry for Writers of the Future, I'm turning my attention to writing a novel.

Publications: my flash "To See Sarah" was published in Abyss & Apex  in March. Every Day Fiction published "Djinn Coin" in January. I also have my second story with Daily Science Fiction scheduled for publication July 30.

2. Apply to a writers workshop.
Achievement unlocked! I applied to the Fantasy & Science Fiction Novel Writers Workshop at the University of Kansas, was accepted, and attended in the first two weeks of June. It was a great experience and extremely helpful in working out the plot for the novel that I will devote the next few months to writing.

3. Lose weight.
My goal for the year is to lose 10 pounds. I started the year at 165 pounds. I dropped to 156 by the start of June, when I went to the workshop. Two weeks of eating out every day caused me to pack back on 5 pounds. Now on July 1, I'm back down to 158.

No comments: