Thursday, July 24, 2014

Writing update

It's been awhile since I posted anything, so here's a quick update.

Since the start of June, I've been doing pre-writing work for an urban fantasy novel. As of this morning, my Scrivener document has 22,500 words worth of world-building, character building and outlining. I've done about as much pre-writing work as I can stand, and I'm ready to start writing the story itself.

I've also re-read novels by my favorite urban fantasy writers to study how they structure their stories, and I'll likely repeat with everything I read over the next few months.

My goal is to have a first draft done by June 1, 2015, which is one year after the workshop in Lawrence. I'm excited to get going, but I won't be able to establish a regular rhythm for about another three weeks, when the kids are back in school.

No comments: