Thursday, August 21, 2014

Remember that last post?

About a week ago, I talked about the things I was going to do once the kids were back in school. I should have remembered what happens to the best-laid plans.

A few days ago, my daughter came down with pneumonia for the second time in four months. This was of course no fault of hers but of a combination of a cold virus, which I probably gave to her, and a respiratory ailment (asthma) that makes it difficult for her to clear her lungs. At least this time around, I took her to see the pediatrician almost immediately, and thus the infection was caught early, as it was "setting up shop." She still was miserable for a couple days, during which she stayed home from school, lay on the couch and watched movies, including "Frozen" twice. I've had various songs from the soundtrack stuck in my head ever since. Love is an open door, you know.

Another disruption, this one at the day job: The entire newsroom is moving this weekend from one floor in our huge building to another floor. The logistics of this are insanely difficult. Much of it has to happen overnight Saturday into Sunday, so those of us working both days have the equipment we need in one newsroom and then the other. The non-computer items on my desk will be easy to pack up, at least. I have drawings from my kids, a stuffed Dalek and a few other odds and ends.

The upshot is that I haven't done pretty much anything I intended to do this week. Which in the long term is fine. There's always next week, and the one after that, and so on. In one bright spot, after struggling for days to squeeze in time to write, I finished Chapter 2 of the novel this morning.

No comments: