Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Thoughts on MileHiCon

This is my one convention of the year nowadays. I can't afford to fly to wherever WorldCon or World Fantasy Con is in a given year. MileHiCon isn't big, but I'm starting to appreciate that particular feature. A lot of the people who show up are the same, year after year. Finally, I'm starting to know some people. The result is that I spent as much time this year socializing as I did going to panels.

For those who don't know me, the socializing is surprising, especially to me. I am very introverted. That's not unusual among writers. We work alone and a lot of the work takes place in our own heads. Meeting people and operating in crowds is, for me, as exhausting as running a 10K.

I also went to some great panels. My favorites were the science panels on the Mars One mission, the outer solar system and dark matter; Connie Willis' talk on how to write great dialogue, and a discussion on the evolution of monsters in fiction. I wasn't able to make it to any readings this time around, alas.

I find that the more I grow as a writer, the less I am interested in many of the writing panels, which seem to be geared toward helping writers who are newer to the craft than I am. That's a good sign, I think. It's also a sign that maybe it's time for me to be a guest, rather than a perpetual audience member.

Anyway, it was a good time. The weather was beautiful. The organizers always run a good convention.

No comments: