Friday, March 27, 2015

The "Heroes" reboot

I'm going to detour for a day from writing to television.

The casting news on "Heroes Reborn" has been coming with dizzying speed recently. I blogged about the reboot right here when it was announced in February 2014 and about my mixed feelings on the original run of the show. First season, fantastic. Everything else, not so much. More than a year after the announcement, I thought I'd share my thoughts on how the reboot seems to be shaping up.

Mostly what we know is casting news. A year ago, I said my wish list for the reboot included the characters of Peter, Claire, Hiro and Sylar. I also said I didn't think any of the actors who portrayed those characters would return, but I'm happy to find I was wrong. Today, the news came out that Masi Oka will reprise his role as Hiro Nakamura, a time traveler with childlike enthusiasm who delivered the series' most famous line, "Save the cheerleader, save the world." Hiro was the beating heart of the original show, while Jack Coleman's Noah Bennett (who has been attached to the reboot for some time) was its intellect. That both are coming back will go long way toward creating a bridge between the old and the new.

Then there are the new additions. The two I'm most pumped about are Zachary Levi and Robbie Kay. Back when I blogged about "Heroes" a year ago, I said I would love to see NBC also bring back "Chuck." Well, bringing back Zachary Levi in "Heroes" is almost as good. And Robbie Kay was fantastic as an evil Peter Pan on another of my favorite shows, "Once Upon a Time."

The other recent news is that the new "Heroes" has been pushed back from summer to fall. I don't know the reasons for the change, but I don't think it bodes well for ratings. A summer miniseries seemed just about perfect, while the show will face a lot more competition for attention in the fall.

Verdict: I'm still optimistic about this reboot but also wary because of how quickly the original series' storylines went downhill after season one. They have the acting side covered. Now the writers need to give us a self-contained story that doesn't go off the rails.

No comments: