Sunday, April 19, 2015

What I'm reading

Mostly, I'm reading for the Hugos right now. That will probably continue for a month or two. But as always, I'm also reading with my kids.

Ancillary Justice and Ancillary Sword, by Anne Leckie
I read these back to back over the past two weeks. I like them both. I can see how the first one dominated the major awards in the SF field last year. The second one isn't as focused, the protagonist's goals not as clear, and therefore I didn't enjoy it as much. But it's still a good book and worthy of its place on the Hugo ballot.

I've also read the short story "Goodnight Stars" by Annie Bellet, which she has sadly withdrawn from the ballot, though I understand her reasons. And the novella "Flow" by Arlan Andrews, Sr.

Next up in my Hugo reading: The Goblin Emperor, by Katherine Addison

Warrior Cats series, by Erin Hunter
My 8-year-old daughter loves loves loves this series. We're now on Book 4, which I think is called Rising Storm. I read two pages, then she reads one. When we started Book 1, she read haltingly and had difficulty sounding out words. Now she's reading fluently with only occasional word issues. With those sorts of results, I'm willing to read to the end of the series with her, if she wants. That's dozens of books, by the way.

Ender's Game, by Orson Scott Card
This is the book I'm reading with my 11-year-old son. I've read it on my own several times before. It's one of my favorite books of all time. I'm excited to share it with one of my kids. We're about halfway through it, and he has already figured out part of the twist at the end. That makes him more perceptive than I was at his age, when I read it for the first time.

2 comments:

Kary English said...

I *love* Warrior Cats! My son read them some years back, and I kept stealing the books off his bedside table to read them myself after he went to sleep. :)

Jennifer Campbell-Hicks said...

Kary, I look forward to theorizing with my daughter on what might happen and reading with her every night, not just to spend time with her but also because I'm enjoying the story. I wouldn't have thought I'd enjoy books about cat clans, but they're actually very good.