Friday, May 1, 2015

Publication Day! In Galaxy's Edge

My science-fiction short story "Shore Leave" is in this month's issue of Galaxy's Edge.

I'm proud of this story. It's one of my personal favorites, and I'm excited to finally share it with the world. It's about a girl who grows up at an isolated lighthouse with only her parents for company, unaware that the skies above are full of starships and human exploration, until one night when there's a knock at the lighthouse door.

Sometimes on publication days, I like to share how the story came about. Sometimes I can't remember. This one has quite a story behind the story.

To celebrate our 10th anniversary, my husband Michael and I spent a week in San Diego. One afternoon, we visited the Cabrillo National Monument, where this beautiful lighthouse from the mid-1800s is located:


I've visited a few lighthouses, all on the East Coast, where the residence and lighthouse tower are separate structures. So the Old Point Loma Lighthouse fascinated me. We toured the inside. We viewed the exhibits in the building next door. On the wall was painted a quote from a child about what it was like to grow up there. That quote got me thinking. While we walked around the grounds, my husband said to me, "You're too quiet. You're thinking about a story, aren't you?" After a decade of marriage, he knows me well.

I wrote the story in my notebook. I started that night in our hotel room and continued over the next few days, in airports, on airplanes. When we got home, I typed the story on my laptop, took a day to polish and sent it off to Writers of the Future. I had never before (or since) gone from concept for submission on a non-flash short story so fast.

A few months later, I got a call. I had been chosen as a finalist. A month after that, another call: I didn't win. But that's OK. It was heartbreaking at the time. Now I am so happy that Mike Resnick accepted "Shore Leave" for publication in Galaxy's Edge, and in this issue in particular. There's a little-before-seen story by Robert Heinlein, and a new story from Larry Niven. There's also Harry Turtledove, Nancy Kress, Gregory Benford and others ... and me.

I hope you'll go read the story, and I hope you enjoy.

1 comment:

Dustin said...

This post needs a comment:

Awesome!