Thursday, May 14, 2015

Sale! and other stuff

First, some happy news. I've sold my flash story "Found Day" to Daily Science Fiction. This will be my third appearance in DSF. If you're interested in checking out the first two times, they're here and here.

I am running into a problem, but it's a good problem. Right now I am selling stories faster than I can write them, and my submission numbers are dropping as a result.

In other news, in the day job, this is happening. Digital First Media's newspaper holdings include The Denver Post, where I spend 40 hours every week. Last year, DFM went up for sale. Today, we employees were informed that it's "not in the best interest of the shareholders" to sell at this time. Of course, being journalists in a newsroom, speculation is rampant about what exactly that means. Feeling a bit like a Ping-Pong ball. But, alas, that is the nature of the industry.

Other stuff I'm doing:
  • Reading "The Martian" by Andy Weir. It is awesome, and full of math and science in the very best way.
  • Rewatching Daredevil because I want to blog about how the show handles journalism, and newspaper journalism specifically.
  • Going to my kids' field day at school tomorrow. When I was elementary school, field day was about competition. There were first-, second- and third-place finishers. Now, there are no winners or losers and everyone gets a ribbon for participating. I get that the school doesn't want the not-athletic kids to feel bad. At the same time, the real world is competition, and shielding kids from that doesn't do them any favors.

No comments: