This is a house at 106 Pandora Circle in Erwin, N.C., that my husband and I have owned since 2003. We bought it when we were about to have our second child because the place we lived in at the time was too small for a growing family. This house was perfect for us. The right size for our family, and within our budget as first-time homeowners.
It's not perfect anymore, though, because now we live in Colorado. It will be perfect for another family, or a couple that needs some extra space. Our Realtor listed the house for sale today. You can find our listed price, information and photos on his website right here.
I'm going to talk about the what makes this house great that you won't find in the listing, stuff that comes straight from someone who lived there for years.
- All four bedrooms, the living room and the dining room have ceiling fans. I miss that so much. The extra air circulation cut down on air-conditioning in the summer and heating in the winter. I loved to lie in bed at night with the fan going softly overhead.
- Heating controls are separate for upstairs and downstairs.
- The backyard is big with shady trees, and a new fence. It's great for kids and/or pets. The porch is a good place to spend summer evenings with some outdoor furniture and a grill.
- The neighborhood is quiet and safe. The house is at the back of a cul-de-sac where the only traffic comes from people leaving and returning home. Our oldest child was friends with the boy who lived in the house across our backyard, and they would walk between our houses to play.
- In fact, the entire town of Erwin is like that. It has a small-town feel. Our kids played soccer and baseball at the town park, and the downtown festivals and parades are a lot of fun. But only a couple miles down the road are Walmart, Lowe's, stores, restaurants and entertainment. Access to medical care is easy with Betsy Johnson hospital only 10 or 15 minutes away by car.
- When we lived there, my husband worked in Fayetteville, and I worked in Raleigh. We were a commuter couple, going in opposite directions, and I know other couples deal with the same issue. Erwin is the perfect location for that because it's halfway between the two larger cities.
- The master bedroom and another bedroom are upstairs. The other two bedrooms are downstairs. Our oldest child enjoyed the extra privacy of having his bedroom downstairs. We also used one of the downstairs bedrooms as a library.
- The attic has easy access from a door upstairs (no climbing through trap doors in the ceiling) and has lots of space for storage.
- We just finished up more than $10,000 in repairs and renovations right before putting the house on the market.