Friday, July 8, 2016

#amwriting

Two weeks ago, I left my newspaper job. Suddenly, I have 9 to 10 hours a day back in which I can do anything. Within reason. So what am I doing?

First, I'm writing. Yes! I'm putting down at least 1,000 words a day, working on a as-of-yet untitled urban fantasy novel that combines two of my favorite things: magic and journalism. If you were to ask me what my book is about, I would describe it as "'Spotlight' with magic."

I write for about an hour or two a day. I could do more, but I won't. That's because I don't want to burn myself out by pushing too hard, too fast. In running, I'm a long-distance runner, not a sprinter, and I'm a long-distance writer, too. At a steady, comfortable pace, I can keep going forever.

At this pace, I will have the book done by the end of the summer. Woot! I love the characters, the storyline, the concept. I'm excited to write every day. That's half the battle right there.

In addition to writing, I'm also looking for a new career and am exploring a lot of different options. I spend a good chunk of every day checking out the openings in the Denver metro area, writing cover letters and sending my stuff to potential employers.

The rest of the time, I'm enjoying life.

I'm spending quality time with my husband and family, taking walks with my dog, doing yoga in the living room, cleaning the house (which is long overdue), and reading books. I'm on my third book in two weeks.

The two I read before, which are both excellent and I recommend:
The Fifth Season by N.K. Jemisin
Justice Calling by Annie Bellet

Now I'm reading The Aeronaut's Windlass by Jim Butcher, which is a fun read so far, despite being a large enough volume to use as a doorstop.

Let's see. What else to report?

My fourth story with Daily Science Fiction will publish on Monday, featuring the meanest protagonist I've ever written. If you're one of the 11,000 subscribers to DSF, I hope you enjoy getting it in your email box.

And I've sold a story to one of my very favorite markets! Stay tuned for more on that, when I have details to share.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ms Campbell-Hicks
"Goosed", Brilliant ! [would i end up a squirrel if I didn't like ??]
kudos to you
JT

jt2982@cogeco.ca