Friday, July 22, 2016

Progress report

A month ago marked the beginning of the grand experiment of me as a full-time writer. Or rather, me writing an urban fantasy novel between leaving one day job and starting the next one.

In one month, I've written 42,000 words. That's a record.

About 10,000 of that got dumped in the trash for various reasons. About 1,500 is a short story. The rest, about 30,000, is novel.

I've written at least 1,000 words every day since June 21. Also a record.

There are 3 1/2 weeks left before I leave for WorldCon, and my goal is to have a first draft done before then. I'm not writing a long novel. I'm aiming for 65,000 to 70,000 words. To finish the draft, I need to write 10,000 a week. That breaks down to about 1,400 words a day.

Starting today, my minimum word count per day will be 1,400. Before this, it was 1,000 per day. I'm upping the ante.

Another reason I plan to push harder: I've reached that point in the novel when I'm dragging. This happens to most writers, or so I hear. It's the point where you're convinced no one will ever want  to publish this thing you're writing, so why bother.

This reminds me of when I ran cross country in high school, and I would reach the halfway mark of the race with my lungs burning and my legs leaden, and I wanted to stop and walk. Of course I didn't stop. Instead, I pushed my body harder and faster. I had to prove to myself that I could do it.

So this is me, pushing harder, proving to myself that I can finish the book.

In other news: The deadline to vote for the Hugo Awards is the end of July. That's coming up fast. If you're eligible to vote, please do so, in whatever form that takes.

No comments: