Friday, July 1, 2016

Well, I'm back

I've been gone from this blog for a long time. Over the past year, my job ate my life, but for a good cause. I'm afraid that blogging was toward the bottom of my priority list, and therefore it just didn't get done.

As of a week ago, I'm no longer employed at The Denver Post. The separation was voluntary. I looked at my options and chose the best one. The lesser evil, if you will.

I already miss the newsroom, and my fellow journalists in the bunker.

I don't know yet what's next for me. I'm peering down a lot of different paths and thinking about which one I want to walk. There are plenty of options out there for a good writer and editor, and I am a damned good writer and editor.

In the meantime, I'm writing. A lot. And reading. And spending time with my family. And starting to catch up on a year of television viewing that went by the wayside (because TV shows, like this blog, fell too low on my priority list.)

My worries aren't for myself. I'm going to be fine. My worries are for The Denver Post and the journalists who are still down in that bunker, fighting the good fight.

The enemy isn't one you might expect.

The Denver Post and many other newspapers operate under the umbrella of Digital First Media, which is owned by Alden Global Capital, a hedge fund that has shown by its actions that it doesn't care about maintaining healthy businesses. It's only interested in squeezing out every last penny of profit for its anonymous investors.

DFM's owner is killing it.

Those of you who say newspapers are dying anyway are wrong. Dead wrong. The Denver Post made a big profit last year. Yet the newsroom has gone through two rounds of staff reductions in the past year, losing nearly 50 people. That's both young, hungry journalists and seasoned veterans who have been in the industry for decades. That doesn't include the job losses among those working on the press and in advertising and in IT.

A healthy press is critical to a healthy democracy.

Yet this country's press is under siege from greedy hedge funds.

If you want to learn more, go to dfmworkers.org. Make sure you sign the letter and read the article "How Alden Global Capital has pillaged the news -- a tale in 19 Tweets."

And support your local newspaper because

#newsmatters

No comments: