Tuesday, July 26, 2016

What I've been reading

One benefit to more free time: I'm reading more books!

Here's what I've read recently:
  • Half a King, Joe Abercrombie. The first in his Shattered Sea series. I've heard good things about Joe Abercrombie, but I'd never read anything of his. This struck me as enjoyable but pretty standard fantasy. Maybe I would enjoy one of his other series more?
  • The Fifth Season, N.K. Jemisin. The first in her series The Broken Earth, and a Hugo nominee. I wouldn't have read this if it weren't a Hugo nominee, but I'm glad I did. Jemisin is an excellent writer. My one quibble: This isn't a complete story in itself. Even with series books, I like each book to be self-contained.
  • The Aeronaut's Windlass, Jim Butcher. Again, the first in a series, The Cinder Spires. This too is a Hugo nominee. I like Butcher's Dresden books. This is different, a second-world fantasy. Both this one and Jemisin's take place in interesting worlds that I would hate to visit for real. Also like Jemisin's, this one isn't self-contained.
  • Ender in Exile, Orson Scott Card. I tried to read this one when it first came out and never finished. Now I'm reading all the Ender and Bean books with my son, and we gave this one a go. I didn't enjoy it as much as I enjoy Ender's Game and Speaker for the Dead, but it's interesting because it fills in a hole in Ender's life.
  • Eclipse, Erin Hunter. This is part of the Warrior Cats series The Power of Three, which I'm reading with my daughter. She loves the Warrior Cats, and I enjoy reading these books with her but wouldn't read them on my own. Then again, I'm not the target audience.
What I'm reading now:
  • The Worker Prince, Bryan Thomas Schmidt. Book 1 of The Saga of Davi Rhii. Space opera! I love space opera. I'm only one chapter in, so I can't judge at this point, but so far so good.
  • Xenocide, Orson Scott Card. Moving on with the Ender saga with my son. I read this book when it first came out, when I was 15 or so, and it wasn't the story I expected or wanted. I know what to expect this time, so I hope to enjoy it more.
  • Long Shadows, Erin Hunter. More Warrior Cats read aloud with my daughter, a continuation of Eclipse.
What's next:
  • Murder in the Generative Kitchen, Meg Pontecorvo. The editor of World Weaver Press supplied me with an e-copy of this one before its official release! I'm looking forward to cracking it open very soon.

No comments: