Sunday, November 12, 2017

Stuff and Fluff

Weekly roundup!

Maybe I can make this a usual thing again.

I completed my 41st orbit of the sun yesterday and am working on orbit No. 42. When I was a kid, I thought anyone older than 40 was ancient. Now I don't feel particularly old. There's a lot of life and creativity left in this body, and a lot of cool stuff to come.

To celebrate my birthday, my family treated me to lunch and a movie. We saw "Thor: Ragnarok," which is soooo much fun. There were a couple of twists I didn't see coming. It's always a nice surprise when that happens. I would go see it again in a heartbeat.

Coming on Tuesday, big news for the anthology "3rd & Starlight," in which I have a story I wrote with Aurealis Award winner Nick T. Chan. Stay tuned!

My current reading: "The Speed of Dark." I've never read it before, and I'm wondering how I missed it because it's amazing. Elizabeth Moon writes in the viewpoint of an autistic man in the near future who must decide whether to undergo a new procedure that would make him "normal." This is the level of writing I aspire to someday.

TV watching: I recently finished the first season of Stranger Things. I'm not one for '80s nostalgia, so what prompted me to watch it? I was starting to feel like I was the only science-fiction geek who hadn't. My verdict: three out of four stars. The kids are fun, and the Upside Down is terrifying. I'll watch season 2 at some point, but other shows will come first, like Outlander and Mindhunter.

No comments: